SAN MAR MISSION
San Mar Exists today
to provide appropriate
nurture and abundant opportunities to children and youth in need that they may become productive members of society tomorrow.
Below is a list of San Mar’s current needs. Perhaps you would like supply or to underwrite the full or partial cost of any of these items.
To provide underwriting, donate wish list items or talk about volunteer opportunities, contact Dan Day, Director of Development at 301-733-9067, Ext. 101.
Items for Group Homes
- Newer PG 13 DVD Movies
- Single size, white sheet sets with extra deep pockets
- Cosmetics for make-up application classes
- Bath towels & Washcloths
- Comforter Sets
- Blank Thank You and other Note Cards
- Bedside Lamps
- Movie Gift Cards – Leitersburg Cinemas/Regal Valley Mall 16
- Bowling Passes
- Skating Passes
- Two Cosmetology Mannequins – one long hair and one short hair
- Baskets or shower caddies
- Shoe racks to put inside of bedroom closets
Items for Arts & Crafts
- Jewelry making kits
- Cheese boxes for craft making
- Old Jewelry and purses for crafts
- Poly-fiber filling
- Thin permanent markers
- Crochet hooks
- Embroidery thread in assorted colors
- Sewing needles
- Fabric to residents to make clothing
- Embossing stamp pad
- Red and gold embossing powder
- One-inch round balls
- White T-Shirts (medium, large and x-large) for tie-dying
- Expressive Art Supplies
Special Volunteer Opportunities
San Mar Children's Home has a variety of volunteer opportunities to meet an individual’s or group’s interest and time available—from once a year to once a week, and ones working directly with residents to those in support of San Mar but do not involve direct work with residents. From time to time we have special volunteer opportunities. Here are a few.
TGBT Support Team Volunteers: July 13—July 16, 2013. Join the support team of The Great Bicycle Tour of the C&O Canal (TGBT). Support team members do what needs to be done to make TGBT a memorable experience for the participants. The support team drives support trucks and vans, load and upload bikes and gear, set up break stations, etc. Volunteers need to have a valid driver’s license.
Newsletter Team: Once a quarter volunteers are needed to fold and label about 2,000 newsletters in preparation for mailing. In 2013 newsletters will be mailed in March, June, September and December. Volunteers can give the time they want and do not need to be all sessions. This is a great group project or a way to make new friends.
Social Media Volunteer: Assistance is needed to develop San Mar’s use of social media platforms and keep them current.
Underwriting Opportunities (with approximate costs)
- Commercial Grade Exercise Machines for Findlay Fitness Room ($200 – $500)
- Quarterly Newsletter ($2,000 a quarter with advertising benefits)
- Computer Technology Learning System for Life Readiness Academy ($2,500)
- Large Flat-Screen TV for Recreation Room ($500)
- Carpet replacement Treatment Foster Care Living Room ($2,000)
- Replacement of four couches in Treatment Foster Care Living Room ($600 each)
- Carpet replacement in Treatment Foster Care Offices ($7,000)
- Carpet replacement Findlay Group Home bedrooms ($6,000)
- Floor repair in Administration Building ($1,500)
- I-Pad to be used for presentations to prospective residents ($500)
- New Linoleum floor and wall repairs in Anderson House bathroom ($2,000)
- Tractor with mowing deck and snowplow ($20,000)
- Copier for the Barr House ($5,000)